How Can Mold Affect My Home?

Mold can be dangerous to your home and health. It is important to take measures to prevent mold from growing in your home. Most people aren’t aware of how big a risk mold can be to your health.

Health Effects of Mold

Mold can be extremely dangerous for you and your family. Health problems caused by mold can range from minor to severe. Some problems can even be life-threatening. Some health issues may include:

  • Runny nose
  • Cough
  • Sneezing
  • Allergic reactions
  • Hives
  • Rash
  • Trouble breathing
  • Sinus infection
  • Asthma attacks
  • Bronchitis
  • Pneumonia
  • Bleeding in the lungs
  • Headaches
  • Sore throat

Mold can be more dangerous for infants, children, elderly people and others with pre-existing health issues. People with medical conditions such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and emphysema are more likely to have serious health issues caused by mold. Additionally, people with weak immune systems are also more likely to have severe reactions to mold. However, mold can affect anyone even healthy individuals.

Effects on Pets

Your pets are also at risk from developing health issues caused by mold. Pets of all sizes can be affected but small pets are at an increased risk. Signs your pets are being affected by mold include:

  • Increased scratching
  • Licking or chewing
  • Skin rash
  • Sores
  • Wheezing
  • Runny eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Itchy ears
  • Ear infections
  • Fatigue

You should take your pet to the vet immediately if they show signs of mold related health problems. You may also need to get your pet out of the house until the mold has been properly removed. If not treated, your pet is at risk of death caused by mold.

Signs You Have A Mold Problem

The easiest way to tell that you have mold is to actually see it. However, this can sometimes be difficult. Mold can grow in hidden places where it isn’t easily seen. These places might include inside walls, under floors, and inside air ducts. There are also many other places for mold to hide.

If your home was recently flooded or experienced water damage, you might be at risk of mold growth. Even simple things such as a small water leak can cause mold to grow. Furthermore, a musty odor is also a sign of mold growth.

Hire a Professional

Of course, if you, your family member, or family pet experiences any of the health issues mentioned earlier, this may be a sign that you have a mold problem. If you think that you might have mold growing in your home, you should hire a professional to inspect your property. It’s possible to test for mold yourself but hiring a professional will give you more reliable services. Professionals know of all the hidden spots to check for. Additionally, they can also safely remove mold without damaging your home. Furthermore, an expert will return after the removal of mold to make sure nothing is left behind.

Mold can have several effects on your home. It can be a serious risk to your health and that of your family. Additionally, it can decrease the value of your property. Don’t let mold go untreated, contact the professionals at Onsite Restoration today at 248-269-3000.

Contact Us

If this is an emergency, please call 248-269-3000 for immediate 24/7 service.