In Michigan, we spend the winter months braving the cold inside our toasty homes. But the risk of a house fire can be terrifying. An estimated 358,500 home fires occur every year and the damage can be severe. The cleanup can be complicated and extensive since soot, smoke and odors can permeate rooms that weren’t touched by the flames.
So how can you keep your family safe while you keep them warm and well fed?
This winter, a rash of tragic fires this winter have been reported where the cause was a malfunctioning or poorly placed space heater. According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, space heaters are responsible for many fires, deaths and injuries. The statistics are staggering. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), electrical failures or malfunctions were factors in almost 50,000 fires a year. In the 2010s, fires caused hundreds of deaths, more than a thousand injuries, and $1.5 billion in property damage each year.
Be thoughtful when placing your unit.
Worn cords, poor ventilation, and dirty heating elements can cause fires in many types of electrical appliances. Avoid using ungrounded electronics in a humid basement. Moisture increases the risk of electrical shock. For an area with a lot of moisture, only use a heater that has a GFCI (ACLI) plug, the type used in bathrooms.
According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), chimney fires cause more than more than 20,000 residential house fires annually. Sparks from the wood fires can ignite flammable carpets and fabrics nearby. Get a qualified chimney inspection every year, get a cleaning every few years.
Kitchen fires are a risk every day for the year; half of all house fires start in the “heart of the home. Kitchen fires are most often caused by:
Every disaster site is different but professionals always put safety first. Expect the On-Site Cleaning fire damage restoration team to be decked out in safety gear when they are in your home. Before cleaning, they will protect your floors and ventilate the space.They will take all the steps to clean, then restore, your home. At the same time, they will be eliminating smoke odors.
Nationally, the chances of your home being burned down to the ground would only be about one in 3000. It is much more likely that you’ll have a house fire that needs professional restoration. You’ll need to remove the debris, safely clean up the mess, and then rebuild all the damaged materials. Look for a team with a proven process in place to restore your house quickly and professionally.
When you’ve had fire and smoke damage in your Michigan home, choose a contractor who is certified, licensed, bonded and insured. On-Site Specialty Cleaning & Restoration will respond to your service call at your facility for any emergency. Call our fire damage restoration team to dispatch professionals immediately. Onsight procedures ensure the prevention of further degradation: mold, structural damage, biohazardous conditions. But On-Site Specialty Cleaning will respond without a crisis– they can help with routine cleaning and home chores, as well.